Sunday, November 18, 2012

Should I Develop Software for me or for You?

I've reached the point in developing Time-Creator that I've put out a version of the spreadsheet but I'm spending too much time on the project. Matter a fact I can't even easily tell you how much time I've spent  and that's one of the goals of the software.

I've decided to refocus my priorities to build Time-Creator for me, not that I don't like you, it's just that I like me more. And by helping me it should help you in the long run.

When it comes down to it, just getting people to try the software will be very difficult, no less getting them to pay me. The odds that I'll make $ from this project is very very low.

Now if I could develop for me and automatically give you something then that would be fine. But I'm finding that I'm spending so much time to productize Time-Creator that I'm not moving the project forward the way I'd like. It seems like 80% of my time is spent creating a product to download/sell and 20% is actually moving the project forward. Some of the things I have to spend time on is:

  • Writing this blog
  • Dealing with cases where Excel doesn't behave nicely
  • Website
  • Demos
  • Marketing
  • Testing. For me there can be bugs but for you there can't
  • Usability
  • Appearance
  • Upgrading 
  • Protecting the intellectual property
  • Bugs I don't care about
  • Different versions of the software
  • Competition
  • Error handling

So I'm taking a little vacation from doing it for you. Don't take it personally, in the end we'll both be happier.

So my writing to this blog will slow down and already has.

Some of the things I'll be focusing on instead are making Time-Creator the coolest project.  It's hard to change sometimes, I guess it's due to the habits we have. But without change there is no progress.

Please write, I answer all emails

No comments:

Post a Comment